It’s International Dance Day 2023 tomorrow and we can’t keep calm, because dance and dance makeup looks have a deep connection. Don’t think so? Imagine a kathak, Bharatnatyam, or Flamenco dancer without any makeup, or for that matter makeup looks that don’t go with that particular dance form. You can’t, right? Like when you’re performing the black swan ballet, you cannot expect it to be so grand and expressive without the famous black swan eye makeup with the statement bloody red lips!
That’s exactly what we meant—no dance form is complete without the dance makeup. Dance makeup is what makes the dancer’s expression come out well, especially when you’re performing in front of hundreds of people in a big auditorium.
So, we’ve curated 15 dance makeup looks that prove that it is impossible to separate makeup from dance.
1. Bharatnatyam—the Indian Classical Dance where Eye Makeup Is the Most Important for Expressions
2. Belly Dance—the Famous Torso Driven Dance from the Middle East which Is Incomplete without the Mesmerizing Cat Eye Makeup
3. Ballet Dance—the Eye Makeup MATTERS—Remember Black Swan? Eye Makeup, Body Highlighting, & of Course, the Lips
4. Mohiniyattam—the Kerala Dance Form that Always Goes for Very Expressive Moves with Dark Eyeliner & Bold Lip Shades
5. Ballroom Dance—Needless to Say, Needs All the Glitter & Shimmer & Wine Lips You Can Imagine!
6. Kathak—Has so Many forms & Different Makeup Looks for Each form—Jaipur Look, Lucknow Look, Banaras Look…
7. Irish Dance—Smokey Eyes, Statement Red/Wine Lips, & a Sleep Bun, of Course with a Lot of Highlighter!
8. Kashmiri Folk Dance Rouf—Minimal, Yet Awe-Inspiring Makeup Look with Overpowering Eye Makeup & Jewellery
9. Flamenco—the Famous Spanish Dance Form That’s Famous for The Bold Eyeliners & Roses in the Hair
10. Kalbelia Dance—the Rajasthani Desert Dance form That Is Super-bold, Notice the Dark Lip Shade & Darker Lip Liner, a Trendsetter in Itself
11. Salsa—the Latin Dance Form Where Everything Is Important, Right from the Hairstyle, to Super-dark Smokey Winged Eyeliner, & Dark Ombré Lips
12. Giddha Dance—Punjabi Folk Dance that Has Makeup So Subtle You Would Have No Idea How Powerful the Dance Form Is; the Focus is on the Jewellery
13. Lavani—the Maharashtrian Dance with its Base in Kathak Leg Movements Has Bold Moves & Bold Makeup; Notice the Amazing Bindi Complementing the Look
14. Shakti Dance—The Yoga of Dance that Focuses on Breath, Sound, Organic Motion, and Mindfulness, Has Makeup Looks Very Similar to Bharatnatyam, with Emphasis on Eye Makeup
15. Kathakali—Another One from Kerala Must be the Dance Form with Equal Emphasis on Makeup, Especially with the Bold Face Colors & Super-Dark Eye Makeup
So, if you’re a dancer, a makeup lover, a makeup artist, you’d know how important the makeup look is in dance and for the dancer to express themselves. Pick your favorite dance makeup looks from the above and tell us in the comments below which makeup looks you’d like for us to include in the list. We’d be happy to do it. Happy International Dance day. XOXO, darlings!